Laughing Ladies Quilting, 349 Massachusetts Avenue, Berthoud, CO 80513
ONE WHO SLEEPS UNDER A QUILT IS COMFORTED BY LOVE!
Find Us, Like Us, Pin Us,
Quilt With Us!
Laughing Ladies Quilting
Welcome to Berthoud, a small town surrounded largely by farmland, nicknamed the "Garden Spot of Colorado." Founded in 1877 in hone of Edward L. Berthoud, the town grew as a result of the railroad and a growing agricultureal community Over the next few years the settlement grew to include a handful of homes, a blacksmith shop, a mercantile store, a small grain elevator, and a log cabin that served as school and church for the community. the beautiful downtown flourished with quaint shops, regal buildings and stoic Victorian homes.
Laughing Ladies Quilting is located in the once known Masonic Building/ Kee and Lyon Building, at 349 Massachusetts Avenue, Berthoud, CO 80513. The original use for the building included: Commerce/Trade: business, professional Social: Meeting Hall: fraternal organization 32.Intermediate use(s): Commerce/Trade: business, professional, specialty store, auction house; Recreation and Culture:and a silent movie theater!
The Masonic Building was the second building constructed by the partnership of farmer- turned-entrepreneur George W. Kee and immigrant William Lyon. In the early years of the 20th Century, they purchased half of the block now identifies as the western half of the south side of the 300 block of Massachusetts Avenue, and in 1905, constructed an office block.
Despite several instances of vandalism during construction, reported in the Berthoud Bulletin, the building was completed in a very few months. In August of 1906, the Masonic Lodge and several commercial tenants opened operations in the new structure. One of the first charming commercial ventures was the bakery of building owner William Lyon, with the Perkins-Fortson Furniture store occupying the rest of the ground floor. While the bakery resided in the building for several years - with customers coming and going purchases delicious baked goods with the smells filling the downtown Berthoud air - the other spaces changed occupants on a frequent basis. Businesses including a saddle and tack shop, a bowling alley, a movie theater, a Piggly Wiggly Grocery Store, a candy store, and three sequential auction houses. Medical practitioners including Doctors Clymer, Martin, Desmond and Arndt, and dentist Leslie rented office space to consult with patients.
For a period during the 1940s, a community dance hall hosted local celebrations. The 2003 sale of the building by the Masonic Lodge, which purchased it in the 1950s, brought an end to the fraternal activities at the site, and provided an opportunity for restoration and commercial redevelopment of the property.
In 2013, Lori, owner of Laughing Ladies Quilting, moved into the building which was formerly occupied by the the Berthoud Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The rest is history in the making!